Thursday 5 July 2007

Tibet: ouch you amazing place!

Hi guys

Nothing can do Tibet justice except to say - it is stunning, stunning, stunning! I am pinching myself I am here! I've been off the plane for a whole 9 hours but already it's clear to me why people flock to this place.

The 95 km journey from the airport unveiled sandy granite hills reflected in unpolluted, green / blue brooks; prayer flags dotted across bridges and streams, and a deep blue sky - like virgin ice - us being up at this altitude (Lhasa is 3700 metres above sea level said to be one of the highest cities in the world).

I've spent my last few hours getting bearings in the higgledy-piggledy backlanes around Barkhor Square, the old tibetan area around the Jokhang Temple. The people watching has been fantastic - withered old ladies carrying prayer wheels; worshipers prostrating in a parade around the main square; horsemen with skin like leather and matted hair, and all sorts of different ethic dress. Words fail me.

And the people are lovely - tonnes of smiles and I've made some local friends already. A little girl took some of the only pics of me I have on this tour and I met some sisters who are giving me a mini tour so they can practice their english.

And what a day to be in Lhasa, for it's the Dalai Lama's birthday I'm told. There won't be pomp and circumstance but I will make my pilgramage to the beautiful Potala Palace anyway. I'm pinching myself!

xx

3 comments:

Jennifer07 said...

You lucky, lucky thing. The Dalai llama was in Brissie a copule of weeks ago. He is as amazing as ever. Luv Mum.

Jennifer07 said...

You lucky, lucky thing. The Dalai llama was in Brissie a copule of weeks ago. He is as amazing as ever. Luv Mum.

Natasha said...

Hey Caz

Loving your blog!

And hoping to look after number 11 for you...

Please make contact if you can

Natasha